Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Riding on the 5 train

Stand clear of the closing doors !!
I hear the conductor exclaim
As I sit across the seat I notice a homeless woman
Sit from across me.
Face so pale and dirty.
Shopping cart filed with many things.
I wonder how old she is
And why she is homeless.
As she faces me I start to see more things about her.
Her hair as brown as the sand on coney island beach
The dirt around her face as thick as a baby skin
Next stop church avenue!!
I suddenly get up to exit
A filthy dixie cup is alongside this woman
I stare her in her eyes
Eyes so cold, almost non human
And colorful as if I was looking in a cat’s eye.
And hand her a dollar
The coldness and hoplesness in her face
 soon went away
And she smiled , without saying a word

3 comments:

  1. This is really deep and connects with anyone who has ever come across anyone like this on the street, train, or bus. It was so descriptive how you mentioned the Coney Island beach and such. I think this was your best poem and you without a doubt deserve a perfect score for this. It was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this. Reminds me of my train rides and how people on the train are so distant yet so close.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow as a New Yorker its really easy to connect with this poem.

    ReplyDelete